Crimes falling into the “sex crimes” category generally involve illegal or coerced sexual conduct by one person towards another. There are laws against unlawful sexual conduct in every state, and each state has its own time limit to bring a sexual-related lawsuit. People convicted of sex crimes are considered “sex offenders” by the state and face having their names added to state and federal sex offender registries. Below is a collection of crimes that are sexual in nature, and that carry severe consequences and penalties.
- Child Pornography – Federal and state laws make it a crime to produce, possess, distribute, or sell pornographic materials that exploit or portray a minor.
- Criminal Solicitation of a Minor (Under 17) – On-line solicitation of a minor for a sexual purpose, that is, with intent to commit a sexual activity with that minor, is one of the most investigated and targeted activities by both federal and state law enforcement in this day and age.
- Improper Relationship Between Educator and Student – Although the relationships are typically consensual, the teacher is prosecuted under a specific provision of the penal code prohibiting an Improper Relationship Between Educator & Student. It is important to note that the offense is neither limited to teachers nor limited to sexual contact; risqué text messages are enough
- Indecent Exposure – Indecent exposure laws in most states make it a crime to purposefully display one’s genitals in public, causing others to be alarmed or offended. Indecent exposure is often committed for the sexual gratification of the offender, and may reach the level of a sexual assault if any physical contact is made.
- Public Lewdness – It is generally defined to be the intentional exposure of the genitals, buttocks or female breasts or committing or attempting to engage in a sexual act in public where there is reason to believe you will and can be observed.
- Prostitution – Generally, prostitution is the act of engaging in sexual activity by a person for a fee or a thing of economic value. But the scope of the crime of prostitution has been widened to include all prostitution related offenses. Thus a person is considered to commit an offense of prostitution if s/he engages in an act of prostitution willfully, solicits prostitution, or agrees to engage in an act of prostitution.
- Sexual Assault/Rape – Sexual assault generally refers to any crime in which the offender subjects the victim to sexual touching that is unwanted and offensive. These crimes can range from sexual groping or assault/battery, to attempted rape.
- Sexual Assault of a Child (Statutory Rape) – Statutory rape refers to sexual relations involving someone below the “age of consent.” People below the age of consent cannot legally consent to having sex. This means that sex with them, by definition, violates the law.
- Solicitation – It’s illegal to entice someone else to commit a crime (such as prostitution). This article explains the elements to prove solicitation, as well as defenses and penalties.
Austin Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer: The Charles Johnson Law Firm
Sex crimes can carry very significant criminal penalties, and even those that carry relatively short jail sentences can result in lifelong registration requirements, public notice, employment restrictions and many other problems.
If you’ve been accused of a sex crime, it’s critical that you understand all of the risks involved before taking any action. You may not have the knowledge and experience necessary to take the steps required to protect yourself and your future. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with Attorney Charles Johnson for more clarification and guidance.
We can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call us at 512-832-1200 or toll free at 877-308-0100.
Major Credit Cards Accepted.
Related News Stories – Sex Crimes Arrests in Austin
A Clinton, Connecticut teenager who posted online videos of flying drones shooting a gun and a flamethrower in his backyard has been arrested, accused of enticing a minor and attempted sex assault. Austin Haughwout, 19, of Clinton, turned himself in to ...NBC Connecticut - Oct 13 2016
AUSTIN (OFFICE OF TEXAS A.G.) - In his office ... generates millions of dollars annually from its classified sex ads. Ferrer, 55, was taken into custody this afternoon on a California arrest warrant after he arrived in Houston on a flight from Amsterdam.Kiii3 News - Oct 06 2016
AUSTIN – Kevin Wayne Matthews ... So far in 2016, DPS and other agencies have arrested 16 Texas 10 Most Wanted Fugitives and Sex Offenders, including nine sex offenders and eight gang members, and $33,500 in rewards has been paid for tips that resulted ...The Ellis County Press - Oct 14 2016