Crimes falling into the “sex crimes” category generally involve illegal or coerced sexual conduct by one person towards another. There are laws against unlawful sexual conduct in every state, and each state has its own time limit to bring a sexual-related lawsuit. People convicted of sex crimes are considered “sex offenders” by the state and face having their names added to state and federal sex offender registries. Below is a collection of crimes that are sexual in nature, and that carry severe consequences and penalties.
- Child Pornography – Federal and state laws make it a crime to produce, possess, distribute, or sell pornographic materials that exploit or portray a minor.
- Criminal Solicitation of a Minor (Under 17) – On-line solicitation of a minor for a sexual purpose, that is, with intent to commit a sexual activity with that minor, is one of the most investigated and targeted activities by both federal and state law enforcement in this day and age.
- Improper Relationship Between Educator and Student – Although the relationships are typically consensual, the teacher is prosecuted under a specific provision of the penal code prohibiting an Improper Relationship Between Educator & Student. It is important to note that the offense is neither limited to teachers nor limited to sexual contact; risqué text messages are enough
- Indecent Exposure – Indecent exposure laws in most states make it a crime to purposefully display one’s genitals in public, causing others to be alarmed or offended. Indecent exposure is often committed for the sexual gratification of the offender, and may reach the level of a sexual assault if any physical contact is made.
- Public Lewdness – It is generally defined to be the intentional exposure of the genitals, buttocks or female breasts or committing or attempting to engage in a sexual act in public where there is reason to believe you will and can be observed.
- Prostitution – Generally, prostitution is the act of engaging in sexual activity by a person for a fee or a thing of economic value. But the scope of the crime of prostitution has been widened to include all prostitution related offenses. Thus a person is considered to commit an offense of prostitution if s/he engages in an act of prostitution willfully, solicits prostitution, or agrees to engage in an act of prostitution.
- Sexual Assault/Rape – Sexual assault generally refers to any crime in which the offender subjects the victim to sexual touching that is unwanted and offensive. These crimes can range from sexual groping or assault/battery, to attempted rape.
- Sexual Assault of a Child (Statutory Rape) – Statutory rape refers to sexual relations involving someone below the “age of consent.” People below the age of consent cannot legally consent to having sex. This means that sex with them, by definition, violates the law.
- Solicitation – It’s illegal to entice someone else to commit a crime (such as prostitution). This article explains the elements to prove solicitation, as well as defenses and penalties.
Austin Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer: The Charles Johnson Law Firm
Sex crimes can carry very significant criminal penalties, and even those that carry relatively short jail sentences can result in lifelong registration requirements, public notice, employment restrictions and many other problems.
If you’ve been accused of a sex crime, it’s critical that you understand all of the risks involved before taking any action. You may not have the knowledge and experience necessary to take the steps required to protect yourself and your future. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with Attorney Charles Johnson for more clarification and guidance.
We can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call us at 512-832-1200 or toll free at 877-308-0100.
Major Credit Cards Accepted.
Related News Stories – Sex Crimes Arrests in Austin
The police chase that led to lockdowns at Isidore Newman School and Lusher Charter School’s Freret campus on Thursday ended with the arrest of a wanted sex offender from Iowa ... New Orleans police said. Austin Taets, 22, was already “wanted on a ...Uptown Messenger - Sep 28 2016
according to the arrest affidavit obtained by mySA.com. Police responded and found several library patrons barricading the women’s bathroom, detaining Powell inside, according to Austin police. RELATED: Third suspect charged in brutal kidnapping in ...San Antonio Express-News - Sep 27 2016
News release from the Texas Department of Public Safety: AUSTIN – The reward for Juan Carlos Pena, 51, a Texas 10 Most Wanted Sex Offender and this month ... For more information or updates in the event of his arrest, see his wanted bulletin at ...KTXS - Oct 04 2016
"After being arrested, I was suicidal and hopeless," Austin Yabandith ... "I figured that since we had consent from her parents and she wanted it as well, that we could have sex," says Austin. That was a mistake, as far as the law is concerned—even ...News Week - Sep 25 2016
MONTEREY >> A Monterey High School assistant football coach has been arrested and charged with having sex with a minor, according to the Monterey Police. Austin Sinclair Love, 30, was arrested Monday at the school, following a report by administrators of ...Monterey County - Sep 21 2016
(ABC 6 News) – According to 2015 FBI crime statistics, Minnesota had the third-highest number of human trafficking cases, and the second-highest arrest rate for trafficking in the nation. That’s why Austin High School students listened to a ...KAAL-TV - Sep 30 2016